start of my projects

Show off your poultry here!

Re: start of my projects

Postby bagheera » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am

seatil wrote:I have a frizzled buff sussex coloured (and sized) girl that /should/ lay green eggs, if she ever starts to lay... She has a pea comb. No crest and no beard. Probably no muffs either, but it's hard to tell with a neck that looks like a toilet brush! So they definitely exist

but the seller does normal sell out very quickly on her large frizzle girls, and say the none frizzled "sussex" that lay green eggs also sell well, but not as fast as the frizzle ones. (had to twist her arm to get seatil Christmas present)
bagheera
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 am

Seatil - if she did have a single comb and laid green eggs then she would be special but any first cross with an Araucana will lay blue/green or olive coloured eggs as this trait is dominant. Also any first cross with an Araucana will have some kind of pea-ish comb, provided the Araucana carries two copies of the pea comb gene.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby RussellBenington » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 pm

these were hatched out on the 20th october last year....when should i expect them to start laying????
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby roobz316 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Thats the same date my arau's hatched and I remember that because it was also the day my daughter was born. These are my first arau's but they can take up to 8 months to lay if daylight hours are decreasing before they are pol, im not expecting eggs till early spring but they may start in April and lay occasionally through winter?? Depends what yours are crossed with too I guess. You will probably have to wait for the eggs to get up to size before you can hatch any also
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby RussellBenington » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:54 pm

any eggs will do...at the moment im getting no eggs (except from my bantam) so just need some.......this is how bad its getting....my mums had to buy eggs :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: so i made her buy some free range ones from waitahuna instead of from a supermarket but anyway....base point is now i need laying hens...so back to searching i go
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 am

Your new Araucana x pullets don't look far off laying - they have well grown wattles already. Can you try to feel their pin bones? If they are starting to move you should see their first egg within 6 weeks.

If you don't know (yet) what to look for just let us know.

Most first cross pullets start to lay earlier than either of their parent breeds and they also lay better than either of the parent breeds. This only applies if both parent breeds were 'pure' heritage breeds, not barnyard specials or crossbreds themselves. Shavers and Hylines are crossbreds so any offspring they produce don't lay quite as well as they do.

I wouldn't go buy laying hens now - they'll stop soon anyway unless they are pol pullets but then - you've just bought yourself some. I'd rather wait for them to start to lay. You could give them a bit of dog roll to speed things up a bit. Or install a light in their coop to give them light from 4am every day.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby RussellBenington » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:09 pm

no chance of a light... to far away from a power source :lol: :lol: :lol: but might start giving them some meat scraps.....is there any meat i should avoid....beside ham/pork because of its salt????
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 pm

Our chooks get whatever we eat (or should I rather say what we don't eat), including ham and chicken frames. Just not too much at any one time.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby AlisonS » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:06 pm

I have a little black bantam x who lays beautiful blue eggs. She hasn't any tufts or muffs, but has a tiny little comb. I think she's very pretty. ImageIn this photo you can see her with her more Araucana looking "sister" who also lays tinted eggs - khaki green! They were both broody at the same time and kept sitting on top of each other or next to one another.
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Previous

Return to My Birds