Mrs H vs Shavers

Show off your poultry here!

Re: Mrs H vs Shavers

Postby nzkings » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:23 am

Aroz26 wrote:Oh yes I was meaning a brood box for the mum and her babies, I probably should have said nesting box :lol: No incubators here lol I leave all the hard work to the mums they do a way better job than I could :D

Oh, I see what you mean... yeah... if you mean those black fish bins, they would be fine to keep in there.... they wouldn't be able to get out till they are ready :)
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 am

nzkings wrote:Things have calmed down a bit now (I think)... I've been letting them out during the day so they can mix and mingle... started out that Mrs H would go straight into the Shaver's coop and boot them out, then bring the chicks in for a bit of adventure (it's almost like she knows they need to get some of the Shaver's "bacteria" to help build their immunity :o ). The shavers put up a bit of a fuss, but that is getting less and less and I'm thinking that they might all be getting on a lot better now... although when I get home from work the shavers are always in their run and Mrs H and the chicks are free ranging... anyway... I was a bit concerned about this rearrangement of the pecking order so asked Mrs H's Dad how attached he and his family were to her..... result... Mrs H is staying :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How cool is that! Have you told the shavers!! Not sure they're going to be that impressed, LOL.

I do have to say, even with the unsuccessful hatches, rats/stoats etc. there is always something to learn and I do enjoy the different broodys, with their different personalities and quirky ways. It seems to bring out the soft side of their nature.

So if Mrs H is like my Maggie, you won't have to wait long before she is broody again!

Lizzie :D
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:09 am

nzkings wrote:
sewren wrote:
nzkings wrote:I was a bit concerned about this rearrangement of the pecking order so asked Mrs H's Dad how attached he and his family were to her..... result... Mrs H is staying :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Excellent negotiation skills!! If Mrs H is anything like Pea she'll be broody again in about 4 weeks time and you can start off your Orpys then! :lol: :lol:

nzkings wrote:.... mind you we do get hedgehogs occasionally...

I've twice seen hedgehogs in my hen house now - really hope they don't ever get to the eggs. One very good reason to make sure there aren't any eggs left at the end of the day!

Not just eggs you should be worried about.... I have heard stories of them eating the chooks while they sleep :shock: :shock: :shock:

Eeeeek! Need to sort that out then!!! :o :o :shock:
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Marina » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 am

Put a 'fence' made of pailings lying on the ground sideways (does this make sense?) around the hen's chosen nesting place to protect her against hedgehogs. That 15cm high barrier will keep hedgehogs from investigating what's beyond.

However, this does not work once a hedgehog has found a nest and took a few of the eggs. It's preventative only but this way the hen finds her way back to her nest.

Hedgehogs will eat live chicks and eggs. I have had one incident where a hedgehog ate the flesh off a 3 month old chick's leg and the chick was still alive in the morning but had to be euthanised.

Not all hedgehogs have learnt that there are goodies under a broody hen but those who have are vicious predators and we catch them and dispose them of.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Previous

Return to My Birds