First egg of a new colour

Show off your poultry here!

First egg of a new colour

Postby AlisonS » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Look at this amazing khaki/olive coloured egg! My daughter's mixed breed pullet layed her first egg today and it looks almost shocking! This hen hatched from a "blue" egg and looks quite Araucana-ish. The eggs are from the left 2 brown shaver eggs, 2 Barred Rock pullets, the amazing mixed breed egg, and a little Pekin egg.Image
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Re: First egg of a new colour

Postby Louise » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:13 am

Amazing colour for an egg :) You have an impressive collection of colour varied eggs. I forget how big shavers eggs are! It looks massive.
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby 99chooks » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:27 pm

They're great aren't they :-) Generally an Araucana x white egg comes out a pretty sky blue but an araucana x tinted egg gives all sorts of shades of olive. I have a BR/Arau and her eggs are a similar colour to yours, I think it looks fab in the egg bowl :)
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby AlisonS » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Generally an Araucana x white egg comes out a pretty sky blue but an araucana x tinted egg gives all sorts of shades of olive.

I wondered about that, because our "pure" Araucanas have laid clear bluey-greeny eggs, but this looks so brown, while definitely being green (somehow, if that makes the least sense!) We got a dozen eggs described as mixed breed bantams, and they were all small eggs like bantam eggs, but paler and shades of blue-green to beige-green. Not like this strong olive or khaki colour! I'm so looking forward to seeing what the other 3 hens lay.
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Return to My Birds