Ready for Winter

Show off your poultry here!

Ready for Winter

Postby nzkings » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:19 pm

While the girls were out of the coop enjoying the sunshine, I thought I'd take the opportunity to lay some new "Forest Floor" bark mulch. It didn't take them long to stop what they were doing and come and investigate though!

Nothing like a good ol' dust bath on a sunny Canterbury day
Loving the new ground cover, thanks mum
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Re: Ready for Winter

Postby gonetothedogs » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Doesn't our efforts look so good for a few days, until the poo starts to gather.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby nzkings » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Yeah, and who ever said that was cheaper to grow your own eggs??????? $56 for three scoops!
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby chicibo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Tell me about it! My coops looked lovely the other day, fresh sawdust in some, hay in others, clean nest boexs for those that are laying.... lasted about 24 hours :?
Love me, Love my animals, No exceptions, No compromise!
chicibo
Emu
Emu

Postby RussellBenington » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 pm

same here.... spick and span to dut and dank in a week.... though the nesting boxes are clean..... of everything including eggs
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby nzkings » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Silly girls... I put new wood shavings in the area where their food and water is and they pushed it all under the step on their feeder so that it didn't open when they stood on it!!! There's me out there first thing with the rake moving it all away again!
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby gonetothedogs » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:24 am

I put water and food carriers up on very thick lumps of timber so the sawdust dosen't get in the water and food. Maybe this would help for your auto feeder? You could even make a timber "low" table to put it on?
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby nzkings » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 pm

gonetothedogs wrote:I put water and food carriers up on very thick lumps of timber so the sawdust dosen't get in the water and food. Maybe this would help for your auto feeder? You could even make a timber "low" table to put it on?

Not sure they would still step on it if it was raised, but might give it a go at the weekend.... won't be long before they kick all the shavings out anyway :lol: :lol:
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby AlisonS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:02 pm

I gave my chooks a lovely thick layer of shavings in their brand new house to help them keep warm, but what do they do but scratch it into big heaps and leave great big bare patches on the floor... I'm glad I put lino down so the poo should wash off pretty easy.
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby nzkings » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:57 pm

AlisonS wrote:I gave my chooks a lovely thick layer of shavings in their brand new house to help them keep warm, but what do they do but scratch it into big heaps and leave great big bare patches on the floor... I'm glad I put lino down so the poo should wash off pretty easy.

I rake my shavings in piles in the house so that they think that is how I want it and they spread it out with their scratching.... reverse psychology, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby gonetothedogs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:22 pm

If you have a thick timber platform that is a fair bit wider than the feeder they'll get up fine. Most of mine have a set up like that for normally feeders and water drinkers.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Louise » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:22 pm

nzkings wrote:
AlisonS wrote:I gave my chooks a lovely thick layer of shavings in their brand new house to help them keep warm, but what do they do but scratch it into big heaps and leave great big bare patches on the floor... I'm glad I put lino down so the poo should wash off pretty easy.

I rake my shavings in piles in the house so that they think that is how I want it and they spread it out with their scratching.... reverse psychology, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL...I like the way you think. Thats totally what they do though...if you want it in piles they scratch it flat, if you want it flat they scratch it into piles!
So yeah, put it into piles and "bobs ya Uncle" they have spread it out very nicely. :lol:

My shavings in the hen house gets turned over not just by the chooks but by sparrows too. Cheeky sh_ts! I have formed this stronge dislike for the tiny birds as they have crapped everywhere in the house, including all over the windows. (Like, just how does a bird crap on a window anyway??? That must take some serious skill!!!)
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby Louise » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Oh and I love the photos! I love the joy you see on the chickens faces as they take their baths...cracks me up as it looks like its the most pleasureable experience.
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby nzkings » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:04 am

gonetothedogs wrote:If you have a thick timber platform that is a fair bit wider than the feeder they'll get up fine. Most of mine have a set up like that for normally feeders and water drinkers.

The water out in their run is on blocks so that it is at back height... mind you they still manage to kick muck into it!!!
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby nzkings » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:08 am

Louise wrote:My shavings in the hen house gets turned over not just by the chooks but by sparrows too. Cheeky sh_ts! I have formed this stronge dislike for the tiny birds as they have crapped everywhere in the house, including all over the windows. (Like, just how does a bird crap on a window anyway??? That must take some serious skill!!!)

Funny... I have two waterers... one is just a bowl out in the run, but the other is as per pic.... I only replace the water in this one at the weekend and by then there is sparrow terds all over the top of it! I don't know why they bother cos the can't get the food unless the chooks drop some! They must just sit on the top of the waterer hoping like hell the chooks let them into the feeder for food.

nzkings
Emu
Emu

Next

Return to My Birds