Ready for Winter

Show off your poultry here!

Re: Ready for Winter

Postby gonetothedogs » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:38 am

Wild birds are a pain here just lately. I go round and scrub all the water containers once a week but often there is a bit of sparrow poo in them just the next day. They are only a pain for a short time for some reason.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby AlisonS » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:32 pm

LOL...I like the way you think. Thats totally what they do though...if you want it in piles they scratch it flat, if you want it flat they scratch it into piles!
So yeah, put it into piles and "bobs ya Uncle" they have spread it out very nicely.

I must try this... I was breaking up the piles under the roost yesterday and decided to add some more shavings as the bald areas seemed a bit big. When I put the fresh shavings in, they showed up so clean and bright, I hadn't realised how much poo was through the old shavings already. The "deep litter" idea really does seem to work, because the house really doesn't smell bad at all, even though there must be a heap of dung in there! So glad I tried it, 'cos boy did the old way pong, even just after a few days of cleaning all the droppings out.
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby nzkings » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:16 am

AlisonS wrote:
LOL...I like the way you think. Thats totally what they do though...if you want it in piles they scratch it flat, if you want it flat they scratch it into piles!
So yeah, put it into piles and "bobs ya Uncle" they have spread it out very nicely.

I must try this... I was breaking up the piles under the roost yesterday and decided to add some more shavings as the bald areas seemed a bit big. When I put the fresh shavings in, they showed up so clean and bright, I hadn't realised how much poo was through the old shavings already. The "deep litter" idea really does seem to work, because the house really doesn't smell bad at all, even though there must be a heap of dung in there! So glad I tried it, 'cos boy did the old way pong, even just after a few days of cleaning all the droppings out.

I only change mine about every four months... just keep adding shavings to the poop.... so long as it is free moving and free smelling, then on or about the fourth (or sometimes fifth) month I move it all out for the neighbour's garden... they love it, free chicken compost, already composted!!!
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby AlisonS » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:49 pm

I thought the books I read said about 6 months before you need to change it. What do you look for to know that it's time to change it?
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby nzkings » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:13 pm

AlisonS wrote:I thought the books I read said about 6 months before you need to change it. What do you look for to know that it's time to change it?

Yes, they do say six months but for my by then it is getting too heavy to turn over.... that's the only reason I do it earlier.
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby Louise » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:46 pm

I do the deep litter flooring too. I still clean it out every day though. I pop the dirty flooring and poop onto the compost beds I have ticking over here. Chicken poop with horse poop, garden waste and table scraps (that the chickens wont eat) make for a fantastic compost. I have worms wriggling through it all happily as the heat from it is enough to raise steam on the coldest mornings. Often I see the chooks taking advantage of the heat by sitting onto of the carpet covers I have over the compost beds. Must be quite a foot warmer for them :lol:
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby nzkings » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:56 am

Louise wrote:I do the deep litter flooring too. I still clean it out every day though. I pop the dirty flooring and poop onto the compost beds I have ticking over here. Chicken poop with horse poop, garden waste and table scraps (that the chickens wont eat) make for a fantastic compost. I have worms wriggling through it all happily as the heat from it is enough to raise steam on the coldest mornings. Often I see the chooks taking advantage of the heat by sitting onto of the carpet covers I have over the compost beds. Must be quite a foot warmer for them :lol:

The idea of the deep litter flooring is that the poop can stay in there... if you are cleaning it out every day then you are not reaping the benefits.... the more poop, the warmer it is for the chookens.... as you have indicated with your compost, it generates heat and that keeps the chooks warm (if you leave it in the coop).
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby Louise » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:24 am

Yeah, I should leave the poop in if I want the litter to compost inside the hen house...but my ingrained training of mucking out horse stables, stalls and paddocks seems to kick in each time I see the mess in the mornings.
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby nzkings » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:23 am

Louise wrote:Yeah, I should leave the poop in if I want the litter to compost inside the hen house...but my ingrained training of mucking out horse stables, stalls and paddocks seems to kick in each time I see the mess in the mornings.

Just mix it up with the shavings so you can't see it :)
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Previous

Return to My Birds